If you’re wondering, why can’t I just run some ads on Facebook? Why do I need a digital marketing agency, or a digital marketing manager to help implement a
- Do You Know Your Ideal Customer? This is a simple question with a simple answer, and yet most do not know. Many ‘know’ but it is in theory. Let’s assume your main target is men 50 – 65 with an affinity for trucks and cars. It would be important to back this up with data from some user research to confirm your theories if you haven’t already. It is a great idea to consider this an ongoing process instead of a destination so you are always learning more about your consumer’s habits and needs.
- How and What Platform and Devices Does this Customer Use to Consume Media? You also need to consider if some of these men actually spend time consuming information digitally, sharing details with their friends online, or engaging in the type of content on Facebook.
- What is Your Platform Nurturing Strategy? Outside of running ads, are you interested in spending the time on the platform to get to know others? Facebook is a highly social platform that leans toward social puffery (did I write that? haha) and in many industries it is more of a brand awareness tactic which means creative, engaging campaigns and posts are important. There might be other better platforms or avenues for targeting your customer.
- What is Your Conversion Strategy? How do you plan to bring them from a third-party platform to your website, to become engaged in what you offer? What is the user flow and conversion path? Do you have the tools and skills to test these and continually improve them?
- What is Your Long-Term Plan? This is the greatest reason to consider a digital marketing consultant, agency, or manager. Everyone has a limited amount of time, money, and resources and it’s important that you consider these at a higher level prior to going for it. If you engage on Facebook and then 6 months from now your audience is consuming media on different platforms, you’ve spent all this time building your outbound influence on this third-party platform (instead of your website, hint hint). Running ads on Facebook should not be the first priority. The other important element is, if you decide Facebook is working, what are your goals and KPI’s for measuring success? Do you want to branch out to other platforms? If so, how do you attribute success and decide when one platform is not all it’s made out to be? It is important you determine a way to bring the data together from different channels and mediums to compare apples to apples.
Conclusion – Digital Media Consumption
It is safe to say, yes, you can run some ads on Facebook. But, it is really important that you figure out a game plan for the full sales funnel from prospecting, to bringing them into your lead generation funnel, to gaining interest and trust. People interact differently online and choosing methods that simply interrupt them through overly sales-y and non-engaging content is less effective. The nature of digital media consumption is more of a research, informational resource. This requires a nurturing, educational, and often collaborative approach.
Consider yourself a consultant throughout this process and beyond. It is really important that you think about your strategy from an individual consumption level instead of subjective and theoretical ‘mass market’ reasons for your media. Data-driven marketing is moving in with force and the capability is there for engaging on a personal level as well as automating the process at scale. It is necessary when people are more distracted than ever to maintain a connected Customer Relationship Management tool (cCRM) to have data all the way through the purchase process. For example, if you have data up to the point that someone submits a form to inquire about your product, but can’t track when the customer purchases the product or service, then you can’t report on actual ROI and show the true value of your efforts. You will only be able to understand the value of the lead. If you have a good digital marketing manager, you can work toward bringing all of the different platforms and technologies together to provide data that can help you understand behavior patterns all the way through the close and will guide better business decisions on an ongoing basis.