Programs that have communication and business degree plans with concentrations in advertising, graphic design, marketing, and even those with computer information systems or information technology programs should consider a slight pivot to include digital marketing or integrated marketing, digital design and digital communication concentrations. Below is an explanation of why higher education needs more digital marketing training.
Digital Marketing Is Taught Well Primarily in Digital Agencies
The first, and most important reason why digital marketing should be more prominent in higher education is to eliminate the disadvantage happening where only those joining digital marketing agencies are able to learn the full scope of digital marketing’s impact. And, in some cases, the digital marketing trainings are subpar, it depends on which agency you joined. It is difficult to find the right sources for training that teach what is important to know and how to keep up with the industry’s changing service offerings in digital marketing. Knowing technology is crucial and understanding practical application in implementing digital programs is necessary to give young college graduates a foot in the door to digital marketing opportunities rather than being required to go into a digital agency to get the available training.
Curation Era in Digital Media – Means Ready for Higher Education
After years of rapid growth in digital media in the information age where information became computerized, we are now in the ‘curation’ era. This essentially means selectivity in the way we use technology and how we consume the media and content that we have access to electronically. As a result, we are now, as a digital marketing industry able to identify the core components of the digital working industry with more consistency than in previous years when digital media was still in its infancy and definitions and themes had not become standardized. This has largely subsided and a framework has evolved that is less reactionary. The ‘evolutions’ of digital media are now in refining, improving, and segmenting based on unique interfaces, devices and consumption patterns where we not only have digitized content, but we have an overload of content and information and therefore personalization is more possible than ever before. With the core components in place for a digital industry and one with consistent themes in search, mobile, paid media advertising, user experience, digital design, and social, we have seen an exponential growth in the number of digital agencies in the U.S. over the last 10 years. Businesses now realize the need for adopting a digital plan and programs.
Digital Marketing and Ad Spend Growth in U.S. Alone
Digital advertising as a force of digital ad spend and media consumption is not going away. The number of digital agencies in the U.S. alone has exponentially grown in the U.S. over the last 15 years. Digital firms often specialize in search, mobile, user experience, design, and marketing. Digital marketing and the promotion and sales of products and services through digital means is the viewer’s experience and the foundation for information systems, information technology, and a basic level of communication and design that further supports the story of a business and provides an extension of the non-digital, unplugged experience for all products and services. Understanding all the facets of digital marketing at a comprehensive and theoretical level is important for a business sector that has been undercut with the internet’s dispulsion of information and distraction based on the amount of consumer options, encouraging price comparison and the need for transparency more than ever before.
Digital advertising, only a small subset of digital marketing as a whole, is expected to outpace television advertising by 2017. eMarketer, a professional and reliable source of digital media trends, predicted in March 2016 that digital advertising spend would outpace traditional tv ad spend in 2017.
By September of 2016, eMarketer found that digital ad spend was instead on pace to outspend tv as early as the end of 2016. U.S. Digital Ad Spend will reach $72.09 billion, while TV ad spend will grow to $71.29 billion by the end of 2017. That means digital will represent 36.8% of U.S. total media ad spend while TV will represent 36.4%.
Some of the U.S. Digital Marketing, Digital Design, and Digital Communication Programs And Ideas of Variations on Potential Degree Programs Currently In Academia
Provided by MarketingTerms.com
- NYU – B.S. in Digital Communications and Media
- East Tennesseee State University – Digital Marketing M.S.
- Rutgers – Mini-MBA in Digital Marketing
- Maryville University – Internet Marketing, B.S.
- Western Michigan University – eBusiness Marketing
- University of Michigan-Dearborn – Digital Marketing Major
- Azusa Pacific University (Christian school) – B.A. in Management with Emphasis in Digital Marketing
- Arizona State Univ. – Marketing B.S. with Digital and Integrated Marketing Communication
- University of Baltimore – Digital Communication Degree
- Savannah College of Fine Arts – User Experience Design Degree
- Savannah College of Fine Arts – B.A. in Digital Media
- Full Sail University – Internet Marketing
- Northwestern – M.S. in Integrated Marketing Communications
- Southern New Hampshire University – B.S. Marketing Degree w/ Concentration in Digital Marketing
- Carnegie Mellon University – Human Computer Interaction (UX Design Program)
Why Digital Communication and Digital Marketing Concentrations
A digital arm of the arts and business department delving into emerging media, digital communication, and digital design would be an additional opportunity that is left untapped by many universities as the digital industry is still fairly young. But, it is not so young anymore that there is not a process that can be fashioned into several core classes and programs complementary to existing traditional media and graphic design majors already existing at many colleges.
Forward-thinking universities should consider how to stay ahead of the curve and provide well-equipped students into the workforce by developing programs to directly engage in the formats and channels that the world is quickly gravitating toward. While many educational programs are finding much pride in embracing digital technologies for improving their classroom experience and online class offerings, most are not aware of the change in professional and career opportunities regarding online reputation and management, inbound and outbound lead generation and data driven marketing processes. Digital marketing is taking the world by storm and changing the way we understand and influence those around us and there are a wide variety of needs in the field of digital communication and marketing.
- Discipline Considerations With Digital Marketing and Design
- Online Reputation Management – social media management, online review websites, and directory management
- Data Analytics – managing website analytics, goal tracking setup and ongoing management of digital components using Google Tag Manager and Google Analytics. The discipline would consider UTM parameters, application program interfaces (API) and using prompts and queries for certain api protocol
- Digital Marketing Reporting – metrics, KPI’s, and insights and dashboard reporting implementations
- User Experience Research and Design – testing and research of the user experience regarding applications and websites and providing insightful reports, mockups, wireframes, and prototypes for developer implementation on mobile, desktop, and applications
- Digital Design and Emerging Trends – design advertising media in the latest formats, such as display and rich media ads and static, dynamic, interactive, and HTML ad designs
- Digital Paid Media and Online Marketing- applied knowledge of current digital paid and earned advertising channels and tools
- Digital Content Strategy – Planning, scheduling, and producing online content through social media, blogs, podcasts, ebooks, video and the latest trends in digital communication
- Digital Content Writing – Blog writing, email subscription writing, digital advertising writing best practices for enticing copy and in certain instances, SEO considerations
- Digital Account Management and Media Planning – insertion orders with placement details, sales orders, media planning, channel strategy and annual planning with timelines and integration of reporting from multiple sources and creation of business-presentation, ready reports
- Digital and Traditional Marketing Synergy – understand the relationships between digital and traditional media and marketing and capable of supporting both
- Search Engine Optimization – practical knowledge, auditing practices and implementations of the latest in search engine optimization for indexability and accessibility of websites and applications
- Email Marketing and Design – principles of email marketing and designing custom email drip campaigns to code emails with HTML and CSS from scratch
- Course Recommendations
- Digital Marketing Overview Course – Outlines an overview of all facets of digital marketing channels and opportunities
- User Experience/Communication Design Overview – planning and documentation with diagrams, personals, concept models, sitemaps, flowcharts, wireframes, deliverables, design briefs, competitive reviews, usability plans and reports
- Web Design Introduction – HTML and CSS education and building a simple website portfolio for communication majors
- Front-End Design and Digital Content Implementation – Setup a WordPress CMS and custom design with HTML and CSS, implementing Search Engine Optimization audits, content creation, practice in blogging and social media through content calendars, planning and digital advertising
- Creating Digital Media – Podcasting audio basics, video creation for amateurs, media distribution options and latest trends
- Digital Analytics and Reporting – Integration of websites with Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager – tracking elements effectively in one analytics tool, setting up UTM parameters, understanding Application Program Interfaces and Data Manipulation through NextAnalytics
- User Experience Research – User research for DBU’s website and other local businesses done remotely, introduction to the latest trends and opportunities for data research and interaction design
- Search Engine Optimization – the latest in the search algorithms and best practices for implementing content for the search results
- Digital Display Design – Create a campaign for a company and set up all messaging, concepting, display ads and imagery across multiple platforms, learn how to develop basic rich media ads with HTML and CSS, set up dynamic ads with digital feeds, and other latest trends
- Online Ethics – Psychology of the internet and its affect on consumer behavior, from personal to professional and implications from a Christian worldview
- Digital Media Planning – Understanding sales orders, insertion orders, and details of placing media across direct, 3rd party, and programmatic advertising explained
- Email and Direct Marketing – Custom code email creation, set up ongoing management, drip campaigns, full-fledged communication program via email of DBU and existing businesses email needs
- Digital Portfolio Communication & Marketing Course – Put together Digital Marketing program for a business – integrate all platforms into Google Analytics, set up custom monthly report, media planning calendar, blog/content calendar, light SEO audit of current site and SEO optimizations with keyword research documents, design display ads